Thursday, January 31, 2013

That Costco Broccoli

Costco sells this big bag of already cut up fresh broccoli...it's pretty inexpensive, I think $4 or something like that.  With that said, my cute husband always was to get it with high hopes of using all of it.  Sadly, I have to report that 4 out of the 5 or so times we've gotten it, it's gone bad.  We don't use it in time.  All of our well-meaning plans go by the wayside.  And shamefully I have to report that ONE time we didn't even OPEN it at all before it went bad!  Yikes!  I know $4 isn't a lot of money, but still, we can't afford to spend so recklessly.  Anyway, now is such a time in which we have a big bag of Costco broccoli sitting in our fridge...we made steamed broccoli with our salmon one time, and that's it...it's just been sitting there.  Soooo I took to Pinterest to come up with ideas...actually this recipe just happened.  It is titled Broccoli Bites for Kids...I had all the ingredients in the house so I attempted to make them.  I must say, the directions were scant and unclear.

Overall, the ingredients are good...broccoli, cheese, breadcrumbs, etc.  So even though they didn't exact come out, they still tasted good because all of the ingredients together just work.



Here's what I will do differently the next time (yes, I'll make them again)...I will cut the broccoli into relatively small pieces.  I think that was one of my major problems...I couldn't make "patties" because the pieces were too bulky.  I actually cut them up partially before I started, but next time I'll do it way more.  I use mild cheddar because I don't really like cheese...but I can handle a little bit of mild cheddar.  I would put more breadcrumbs...oh and I used plain breadcrumbs and added Italian seasoning.  What I'll probably do next time is make my own breadcrumbs...I make at least one loaf of homemade bread each week, so I'd just take some of that, pulse it in the food processor, and maybe add a couple splashes of milk to the final mix.

I'll make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment